Thursday, April 13, 2017

A NEW SACRAMENT

April 13, 2017
Maundy Thursday
John 13:3-10a,12-15,34
1 Corinthians 11:23-25
It was either the day before passover (the day of preparation) or the passover itself, when Jesus and his closest disciples shared supper together for the final time.
//
The Apostle Paul gives us the oldest account of how The Last Supper was practiced in the early decades of the Christian Church:
For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body that is for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.'  In the same way he also took the cup, after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood.  Do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.'
//
#480VU "Let Us Break Bread Together"
//
These are the gifts of God for the people of God.
//
//
Even though the location was a rented room, Jesus acted as host.  On special occasions, it was customary for the host to arrange for the guests to be comfortable as they arrived for the evening. 
Life in 1st century Judea was a walking culture and it was (for the most part) an arid climate.  So, the host would arrange to have a household servant wash the guests' feet: it would be appreciated as a special luxury, allowing people to feel relaxed and ready for their time together.
From the Gospel of John...
Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and going to God, got up from the table, and tied a towel around himself.  Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him.  He came to Simon Peter, who said 'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?'  Jesus answered, 'You do not know what I am doing, but later you will understand.'  Peter said to him, 'You will never wash my feet.'  Jesus answered, 'Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.'  Simon Peter said to him, 'Lord, not only my feet but also my hands and my head!'  Jesus said to him, 'One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean.' ... After [Jesus] had washed their feet, had put his robe on, and had returned to the table, he said to them, 'Do you know what I have done for you?  You call me teacher and Lord - and you are right for that is what I Am.  So, if I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash each other's feet.  For I have set you an example, that you should do as I have done for you.'
//
Jesus - the host - takes on the role of a servant.  Peter gets that and feels that Jesus (his lord and teacher) should be one who is served, rather than the servant.  Jesus convinces him to play along.
After the foot washing is finished, Jesus makes it clear that there was both a metaphoric dimension to this experience.  It was a lived-out parable ... the actions held a deeper meaning.
"Do as I have done."
//
#560VU "O Master Let Me Walk with Thee"
//
If you are at all familiar with the basic rituals of the Christian Church, you might know that we regularly celebrate two sacraments that the Bible indicates were initiated by Jesus... Communion (The Last Supper, Eucharist): Do this often - eat and drink in remembrance of me; and... Baptism: Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
But we do not have a sacrament of foot washing, even though the bible clearly says that Jesus told us to Do as I have done.  It would make sense if the had developed a ritualized practice to be faithful to Jesus call for us to wash each other's feet.
Now, I know that - there are times when foot-washing is incorporated into Holy Thursday services, but it is far from a regular universal practice across denominational lines, like communion and baptism are.
//
I think that this is because, before Jesus was finished speaking on that night, he made it clear that the foot washing was not really about foot washing.  It was a parable for what Jesus wanted his disciples to be all about.
I give you a new commandment (a new mandate), that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you should love one another.
The practice of Jesus, that he was mandating them to copy was his compassion... his practice of servant love.
//
//
Let us go to love and serve our God by living out the compassion of our Christ.
Make Holy Love real.
It is by love that the world will know we are Jesus' disciples.
//
#298VU "When You Walk From Here"

No comments:

Post a Comment