Sunday, February 21, 2016

FOCUSED, FIRM AND FAITHFUL

February 21, 2016
Lent 2
Philippians 3:17 - 4:1
Luke 13:31-35
(prayer)
The longest hour I used to experience when I was a child was the time right after lunch while on our annual family vacation in Penticton.
Although, it is now almost universally debunked as a summer myth, in the 70s, my parents dutifully enforced the rule that you had to wait for at least an hour after eating before you could go swimming.
Those hours were long.
And boring.
And I probably spent most of that time sulking and complaining.
I am sure that my attitude while being on the mandated hiatus from the lake and pool made my parents question their resolve.
But... the purpose of this time was not to make my life miserable.  Regardless of whether modern thinking agrees on the necessity or not, at that time (with the best of intentions), my parents were looking out for my best interests - they were taking a very practical step to keep me safe.
It is one of the most sacred (and sometimes thankless) tasks of parenthood.  To keep their children safe - even if the kids don't appreciate the potential danger.
//
By extension, it is one of the duties of care among members of a community - to create societies that nurture safety and... give people peaceful contexts in which to live, learn and grow.
The 'shiny desires' of the moment don't necessarily support the larger goal.
//
We heard Paul share the same insight with the early Christians in Philippi.
Paul expressed his passionately held belief that our selfish focus on short-term gratification serves to do little more than distract us from enriching our connection with God and allowing our spirituality to deepen and change us.
This is so central to Paul's thesis that he is brought to tears thinking about the faith of the young church a few miles from the head of the Aegean Sea.
Paul (and his associates) established the Philippian church.  He clearly felt a duty to nurture and tend the developing faith of these new believers.  Paul set himself as their mentor and guide.
Join in imitating me.
Watch others who follow my example.
Do what they do.
The approach Paul wants the people to have is to make their relationship to the God of Jesus Christ central to all aspects of their lives.
//
At couple of weeks ago, here at St. David's, we told the story of Peter, James and John experiencing a manifestation of the glory of God in Jesus.  That story directly followed after a conversation between Jesus and Peter about who Jesus was and what it means to be a disciple (or follower) of Jesus.
In that conversation, Jesus accused Peter on setting his mind of human things, not divine things.  In other words, "Peter, you are too into your selfish desires (here and now) and, as a result, you are not able to see the bigger picture that God focuses on."
The Apostle Paul is saying the same thing to the Philippians: Don't let shallow selfishness distract you from the holiness around you and stay focused on your God.
Stand firm! Paul wrote.
//
//
//
Jesus was manifesting holiness as he travelled throughout Galilee. 
His words inspired.
His skilled hands and caring heart healed.
He was enveloped with a respect and joy from the people.  They valued Jesus' influence on the quality of their life and faith.
//
In Luke today, we heard the fact that Jesus' popular authority had warranted the unadmiring attention of the King of Galilee: Herod (who was named after his grandfather, who was the Hebrew sovereign (thirty or so years earlier) when Jesus was very young).
//
Out of concern for his safety, local religious leaders from the town where Jesus was at the time, told Jesus that Herod wanted to harm (even kill) him.  They advised Jesus to leave.
Jesus followed the advice.  He did move on to other towns.  But that was nothing new.  Jesus had always been a travelling rabbi.  He may have learned a valuable lesson from the experience of John the Baptist.  John was a settled teacher.  He set up shop by the river and people came to him.  Of course, when the authorities wanted to arrest John, he was easy to find.  Jesus chose a different style: people didn't come to him, Jesus went to the people.
Even so... this time, there did seem to be some urgency in the Pharisees' warning - "You should probably leave sooner than later, Jesus."
But before moving on, Jesus did ask that a message be given to the king of Galilee: Tell that 'fox' (nice insult, Jesus) that I will not stop or slow down my ministry.  People will continue to be made whole and healed.  Tell Herod that "I" will decide when I am finished, not him!
//
Then the gospel writers includes a little foreshadowing of how and where Jesus will finish his work.  [Remember... the first readers of Luke knew the end of the story. Jesus will not end has ministry in the towns of Galilee at the hands of a puppet Hebrew king, but in Jerusalem at the hands of Empire leadership.]
Jesus laments Jerusalem' pivotal role throughout history as a place where prophets have been opposed.  Like lots of important places led by important people, Jerusalem hasn't always responded well to challenges to the way things are.  The powerful seldom "like" their power being questions.
'That may work in the sticks,
but not in Capital City.'
In a wonderfully poetic way, Jesus expresses a desire to embrace the central city of his faith.  "Even though you do have a history of being hard on those who challenge your comfort, I still longed to hold you close, protect you, "  The words paint a wonderful picture - the mother hen gathering her chick's under her wings.
//
//
Any time our hope and desires and passions are faced with opposition, we naturally question how strong we can be.
In most (if not all) situations, there is a breaking point... where we are unable to move forward.
Is it worth it carrying on?
Am I strong enough?
Am I committed enough?
//
The early years of the Christian movement - the times into which the Apostle Paul and the author of the Gospel of Luke were sharing written insights - were a time of extreme challenge for the first generations of Christians.  They were involved in matters of a deeply personal nature - matters of the heart, mind and soul. 
And, of course, the very nature of an emerging and evolving faith impacted how the people related to their wider communities and culture. 
They were naturally beginning to wonder about what about their new worldview fit well within the world they have known?  What conflicts and dilemmas were rising to the surface?
In fact, several times in his various letters, Paul has cause to address issues of cultural conflict.  In the end, he encouraged people to not sweat the small stuff (particularly the traditions and practices of their old lives) but to hold firm to the basic faith that... they are held and protected in God's love: which is known in Christ crucified and risen - and is the greatest of all gifts of God.
//
//
Today, we heard Paul's concern that short-term selfish endeavours can distract us from our eternal relationship with God.
And, in Jesus, we saw his steadfast ability to remain focused on his mission and ministry - in spite of threats and opposition.
//
//
We live in an increasingly busy world.  Instant communication and lightning fast access to information has made it easy for us to attempt many levels of multi-tasking.
Some of us are better at it than others.  But all of us are in danger of losing sight of what is truly important to us.
I have embraced (as much as anyone my age) the convenience and connection that comes with a smart phone.  And I admit that along with the benefits, is the loss of down time.
Example: yesterday morning, while I was watching a junior high basketball tournament, I received almost simultaneous requests from two different funeral homes for me to conduct funerals later this week: one funeral director contacted me by email, the other by phone.  Both found me (via my smart phone) in the bleachers.  In fact, I was in the middle of typing a reply to the email, when the phone call came in.
After first determining that these were (in fact) seperate funerals, I was able to set up times for both services and make arrangements to have meetings with both families before this weekend is out.  I was also able to check the church calendar on-line and to book the necessary rooms for both funerals and receptions, and begin to contact the church caretaker and recruit AV and music people - all from the sidelines of the basketball court.
Just a few years ago, people would have only been able to leave me a phone message at the church (or at home) and I would have had to make a physical trip into the church office to check a paper calendar to see if the church was free.
What is also true is that I missed a lot of my son's game yesterday.
And that makes me feel guilty.
I feel like I not be as faithful to the big picture of the priorities of my life as (maybe) I should have been.
And yet, I am grateful that the families were able to begin to receive care in their time of grief as quickly as possible.
//
//
The modern world (whether we like it or not) forces us to examine our priorities.
And - perhaps ironically - we can turn to the ancient world for advice.
//
To set out minds solely (soul-ly) on earthly things is to ignore the very basic nature of who we are: spiritual beings ... children of God.
Paul reminded the Philippians (and us) that we are at home in God - our citizenship is in heaven; stand firm in that knowledge.
//
So, what can that mean for us?
For me, I continually find myself coming back to two particular scriptures to guide me.
Micah 6:8
What does God require of us?
Do justice.  Love kindness. And walk humbly with God.
Mark 12:30-31
Jesus quoting Deuteronomy and Leviticus:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' And Love your neighbour as yourself'

And I making fairness, kindness, humility and love central to my life?
When others are watching me... is this what they authentically see in me?
//
//
Jesus stayed firm to his mission, even when it was challenged.
Paul encouraged a big picture focus to life and faith.
//
These are lofty goals.
They are not easy.
But... We are not alone!
God's compassion and support covers us like the protecting wings of a mother bird.
My god does not abandon me... even when I see ways to improve the priority setting of my life.
My god is patient.
Thanks be to God.

Let us pray:
God of Promise,
May we find ourselves open to trusting you. 
May we find ourselves living into the possibilities you lay before us. 
May we hear your promise in our souls.  Amen.


#116VU “Giver of the Perfect Gift”

No comments:

Post a Comment