Tuesday, September 28, 2010

YOU WORRY TOO MUCH

September 19, 2010
Pentecost 17
Jeremiah 8:19 - 9:1
Luke 16:1-13

Dramatic Message prepared and presented by
Alex Bois-Bonifacio and Alvin Bonifacio

AT THE COFFEE SHOP
Jen sits alone at the coffee shop table reading what looks like a magazine. Will enters the coffee shop holding a portfolio and after getting his coffee, he notices Jen and sits down.
ENTER WILL
Will
Jen. Hey Jen... JEN!
Jen
Hmm? (she looks up) Oh, hey Will.
Will
What’s got you so captivated? Is Cosmo really that interesting? Are you reading 10 ways to find the 21C man?! (he chuckles to himself, proud of his own wit)
Jen
What? No. I’m just reading Luke.
Will
Luke? What? (he looks over her shoulder and then slowly removes the magazine to reveal Jen reading the bible) So what’s with the facade?
Jen
What? I don’t know. I just didn’t want to stick out like a sore thumb.
Will
Oh. But we’re always in here talking about some piece of scripture or other. So what’s the text for this week anyways?
Jen
Luke 16:1-13 it’s the Parable of the Dishonest Steward
Will
Tell me about it.
Jen
Well Jesus starts to tell this parable about a steward who basically gets caught fixing the books and is going to get fired by his land owner. So the steward goes out to the farmers who owe the landowner money and tells them to change their bills to a lesser amount. The steward figured to himself that he was no good as a day labourer and would end up unemployed and when that happened he wanted to be able to call on the farmers and hoped that they would remember that the steward had cut them a deal and that they would in return help him out. When the landowner finds out what the steward has done he commends the steward for acting shrewdly.
Will
Wow, two big taboo topics all in one! You aren’t going to ask me who I vote for next are you?!
Jen
Ha. Ha. So what are you reading then?
Will
I’m not reading really. I’m not doing anything actually. I’m stuck.
Jen
On what? Glue!
Will
Seriously? That was worse than my kids and they have an excuse...
Jen
You’re their teacher! Oh that’s two points now!
Will just stares at her with his teacher face until she notices him,
Will
Are you finished?
Jen
Sorry, Mr. B. (pause) For real this time, why are you stuck?
Will
Well, now that I’m a teacher I have to make some financial decisions for my future and I don’t quite know what to do. There is retirement to think about and life insurance. I should probably plan for my medical expenses as I get older... the list just goes on and on. I mean, I almost didn’t come in here today, I don’t know that I can afford this coffee! (he looks at his coffee)
Jen
Ok...Ok. Well you’re in luck I happen to be pretty good with money. So let’s just go through it.
Jen starts to look through Will’s papers...
Jen
Well you definitely don’t need both of these.
Will
(quite anxiously) But I might need that money. How do I know what’s going to happen? Shouldn’t I plan for emergencies?
Jen
I’m not suggesting you don’t plan for the future. I think it’s a great idea! No one could have grown up with my dad without hearing “More people should plan for the future! If they did, I wouldn’t have to keep paying taxes!”
Will stares at Jen as if she is from Mars
Jen
Yeah I know it doesn’t make sense! Let’s just focus on you then, ok?
Will
(Still uncertain if he trusts her after that) Sure?!
Jen
Again, I think planning for the future is a great idea, but I am pretty sure you don’t need two emergency savings accounts.
Will
(Still anxious) OK. Then I will put that money over here into something else I need.
Jen
Will this is a great plan. You seem to have thought of all the basics and plan excellently for your future. You even have money to spare.
Will
Oh no I don’t. I don’t want to be SOL like that steward in Luke. There’ll be no pan handling in the retirement home for me.
Jen
Hey! The steward was commended for his shrewdness not chastised! That’s the point William.
Will
Huh? I don’t get it. What’s the point?
Jen
Well, along with the parable Jesus told the disciples,
And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth* so that when it is gone, they may welcome you into the eternal homes.*
10 ‘Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and whoever is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much. 11If then you have not been faithful with the dishonest wealth,* who will entrust to you the true riches? 12And if you have not been faithful with what belongs to another, who will give you what is your own? 13No slave can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.’
Will
This is Luke right?
Jen
Yeah??
Will
Oh whatever! He’s the bleeding heart liberal that tells everyone to give away all their money to the poor and marginalized. Of course you can’t serve God and Wealth with him!
Jen
Yes, scholars believe Luke to be a social advocate, but the gospel writer isn’t saying give away everything you have to the poor. This is about the steward, remember? He was the go between man. The Landowner was the rich one, not the steward. He worked on a commission. Some scholars even believe the amounts he cut off the farmer’s bills was only his commission! But if that were really the case his actions wouldn’t have been dishonest!
Will
So... Yeah I don’t get it.
Jen
Well Parables are about the kingdom of heaven and are not allegories. Jesus isn’t telling this story so that we go and act like the steward. There’s more to it, I think. I think Jesus was trying to get people to think about God and Wealth. That’s what I was thinking about when you walked in. How can I or you plan for our own future and think about God at the same time?
Will
And? How can we?
Jen
Well I don’t know. You came over and sat down! I didn’t finish my thought?! Gees!
Will
Ok just let me think. The text said,
If then you have not been faithful with the dishonest wealth,* who will entrust to you the true riches? 12And if you have not been faithful with what belongs to another, who will give you what is your own?
Jen
Exactly Will! You are brilliant!
Will
I am?
Jen
Yes! Money is God’s. It does not belong to us, but is provided to us for temporary use. Money, the economy, ownership...none of it is static or stationary. It all circulates moving from you to me and forward to the next guy. I think that’s what Luke is always talking about. It’s not, give away your money but pass along God’s wealth.
Will
So when Jesus said you cannot serve both God and Wealth he was saying... I lost it!
Jen
He was saying do not be held by fear or anxiety about money. Plan for your future wisely.
Will
Jesus wasn’t just talking about my RRSP was he?! (Jen shakes her head no) I didn’t think so. Jesus was talking about planning for the kingdom of heaven too.
Jen
Yes.
Will
(looking down at his portfolio) Great! Now I’m stuck again! What am I supposed to do now, miss financial guru?
Jen
Will, what if you freely gave away what you didn’t need? The extra, whether large or small, and knew that everyone else would too?
Will
I wouldn’t need to be anxious anymore.
Jen starts to gather her things...
Will
Wait you still didn’t tell me what to do with my money.
Jen
I know. EXUNT

Will sits back in his chair, looks to his portfolio and then back where Jen left, and lets out a small, soft laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment