Sunday, May 30, 2010

AT THE GATES

May 30, 2010

Pentecost 1

Romans 5:1-5

Proverbs 8:1-4,22-31
(prayer)
I spent some time near the buckle of the Bible Belt recently. Leduc and area might have about 40 churches within our region, but in my time in North Carolina a week ago, it seemed like every corner of every town had a church on it (and most of them were Baptist or Presbyterian churches).
//
I have been working with some of the other United Churches near the south-east corner of Edmonton looking at the incredible growth that has occurred in that region in the last 15-20 years and how the United Church might have a presence in the area. Conversations naturally gravitate to having a physical presence (a church, or some other ministry-centred building): and location is absolutely key. Life in the 21st century is often too busy to be skirting around back roads looking for things.
//
The book of Proverbs provides us with one of the most intriguing images in the Bible: that of “Lady Wisdom” (Chokhmah (חכמה) in Hebrew; Sophia (Σοφíα) in Greek). Wisdom is personified as this woman who cries out to the people, calling them to live in God’s way.
She chooses her location wisely. She sets herself up “at the city gates”. Cities and towns have points of entry. It is especially true of places that may have walls or other barriers. But even wall-less communities have places where the road enters.
Like those stanchions that force people into nice lines at banks and airports, the paths of travel would meet the town at a certain critical point: the place of meeting, the bottleneck of activity. That’s where Lady Wisdom sits. That’s where she speaks.
Location, location, location!
//
We read today a bit of Wisdom’s resume. She claims to be as old as creation – in fact, we read that she was involved alongside God, the creator in the creation of the universe.
I would encourage you not to get too caught up in the personifications here. The ‘metaphor’ presents us with two distinct characters at creation: God and Wisdom. Our minds might imagine two people working together (maybe even one male and one female to use traditional old testament gendres). It’s an image of team work. But these are just images to give this story life and meaning. The hows and whats of creation are not really what is being talked about here – it’s not about a literal teamwork of two distinct divine entities. Behind the metaphor is the more-than-literal meaning that there is a wisdom to the created order - That God’s creation is wisely founded – and we are being invited to ponder what would be wise ways of living now.
We can hear holy wisdom calling out to us in the midst of the busyness of our lives – inviting us to consider the value of including a strong spirituality in our lives.
This weekend, in Edmonton, the YC event is taking place at Rexall Place. It is a high-energy Christian event for youth. It is quite popular among more evangelical, fundamentalist churches. The base theology might be a bit more restrictive that one might find in more mainline churches like the United Church, but I do like the concept. It is all about getting people excited about their faith.
I was on study leave a week ago. Although, I know that to some a minister’s study leave look like a vacation-by-another-name – and there certainly was a recreational aspect to that time for me, but more importantly, it was a time of re-creation; of encouragement; of new spiritual connections; of establishing new relations with others on their own quests and journeys of life.
I don’t know how many of you read my weekly blog, but two weeks ago I felt compelled to mention a comment I heard from someone ‘outside the church’ who I had told I was going away for a week of study leave. I blogged that
The [person’s] response was: "must be nice!" It is. I am grateful to serve a vocation that values life long learning; that believes in rejuvenation and rest as part of the learning process. I know that I can become a better minister as I take advantage of opportunities to challenge my heart, mind and soul.
I believe that to be true, not only of paid accountable ministers, but of all people of faith. Find time (make time) for an encouragement of your spirit! Listen for the wise words that can inspire (in scripture, in books, in conversations, in sermons and worship services, in the silence of your hearts).
//
If I have any wisdom for today, I think it me might be that we should try to make our spirituality as natural as breathing. In-out-in-out. The etymology of the biblical words for spirit is that they mean the same thing as breath and wind. One of the workshops I took part in while I was away – reminded us of the relationship between the words “expire”, “aspire” and “inspire” – these are all words with similar roots as the words spirit. Let go: expire, seek to be more: aspire, and be filed: inspire.
Last Sunday was Pentecost Sunday and (within the church calendar) we are now in the season after Pentecost which will take us all the way almost to the end of November. Pentecost is about the followers of Jesus being inspire – in-spirited: being filled with a spirit of understand that energized them to share the Gospel (the goodnews of Jesus about the overarching love of God) with a world ... gasping ... for spirit.
On my study leave, David Wilcox and Nance Pettit spoke about the breathing process not with words like “taking a breath”. But rather, “accepting a breath”. The air is there, be just need to let it in. Wisdom is with us at the gates, we just need to listen – the spirit in with us, we just need to let it in – accept it.
I like that use of language (accept over take). It is the language of grace, of gift. It focuses on God’s ever-presence. Becoming aware of that is our role – accept the loving breath of God’s wisdom – to allow ourselves to be inspired – filled with the spirit.
That is my hope for myself and for you! As Paul reminds us in the letter to the Romans hope can be the motivator to keep us going when we have trouble feeling the deep connection we desire. Paul was speaking about very literal struggles for members of the early church and I don’t discount that at all. I admire people who keep their hope in the midst of real suffering. But I also see value in Paul’s words for times where the struggle is more subtle. It is natural for human beings to long for understanding and purpose in life. Our biblical heritage offers us some wisdom in this regard.
My hope for us all, is that we find way to truly let it in!

Let us pray:
Thank you God for the world we enjoy;
Thank you for Jesus as our guide and refuge; and
Thank you for the Spirit which fills us with hope.
AMEN.
#153MV “Body, Mind and Spirit”

No comments:

Post a Comment